Snob or Just Plain Cultured??

I'm picky about a lot of things. I'm picky about the foods I eat, (I hate garbage... and refuse to step foot into McDonalds, B.K., or Wendy's for even a salad)- I'm picky about how I like to eat- (If I'm not on a road trip, there's no reason for me to eat whilst on the go-I like to sit still at a table, whether at home or out (preferably at some place reasonably decent) and eat. Eating in the midst of motion blows... point, blank, period. I'm picky about the movies I watch- (if it ain't indy or foreign, I won't bother with it, no point in wasting my time on some Hollywood produced tripe), I'm picky about where I view movies- (I am a proud subscriber to Netflix, the only way I'll shell out 10 bucks for a movie is if it's in a place that specializes in foreign, arthouse, and indy flicks). I'm picky about the friends I choose to associate with- (A small, intimate group is more than enough for me... Just like Erykah B., I pick my friends like I pick my fruit, as well. No point in me sitting amongst a group of annoying, uninteresting people anymore. I don't feel obligated to do this ever again). I'm picky about the coffee I drink (No punk-behind jailhouse brew for me, thanks... I like it full-bodied, darkly roasted, and strong), I'm picky about the spirits I sip- (An Appletini is NOT a Martini... it's a fruity cocktail and I hate it. If it doesn't have vermouth, vodka or gin, and an olive in it, then it's NOT. Period). More importantly, I am picky about the places I choose to frequent and socialize in. I am not really into clubby-bar/fratboy/frat girly/same playlist being played/corny joints. Been there, done that, and well, yaawwwn. The same personality types hang there, it's raucous, the DJs tend to stink the place up, and I grow bored with witnessing the same jerky, two-step dance moves people never want to deviate from... for fear of missing the beat. I also don't like screaming conversations at the top of my lungs. A night at one of these places, and my throat hurts like hell. Can't stand sports bars and Irish-American pubby places either. I like laid back joints. I love just sitting somewhere where the ambiance is intimate and on point. I like places where the people are chill and chatting amongst each other... swathed in soft lighting. I enjoy hearing great jazz being played by a trio, quintet, or sextet or something mellow being played in the background. The music is loud enough to enjoy, as you wonder what artist is being played, but low enough to carry on a decent conversation without yelling. I enjoy gallery cocktail hours and opening receptions, where the wine, cheese, and crudite flow in abundance and the conversation is not pretentious and rude, but genuine and well-rounded. I like cool places. Sue me! Big freakin' deal! That's what I enjoy. This doesn't make me a snob. It means, I like what I like. Whenever anybody in town asks me to hang out, I always find myself having to negotiate over where we should go. My suggestions either fall on deaf ears or are scoffed at. I end up being the one who compromises... hence, me sitting in some raucous bar where I sneak glances at my watch or check the time on my cell phone. Waiting for the evening to be over. I cannot stand wastefully-wearing a gorgeous pair of earrings in some ho-dunk place! I don't go out to be "picked up" or leered at... so I could care less how many guys are in attendance. I go out to socialize with my friends and to share in a good laugh. I get sick of trying to explain my preferences to people. If you have issues with my tastes, then to hell with you. Those who have issues with how I do (as Res sang), perhaps you all should expand your horizons, see, because I have friends who share in the things I enjoy doing. I even take great pleasure in experiencing these things alone, so that when my best friend is in town, I can gush about "the cool new place" I happened upon a month prior, and vice versa. I am not one of those people who needs to be in the company of others to enjoy the things that I enjoy doing. I can frequent these joints A.L.O.N.E. Today, my horoscope read: Venus is appreciating Neptune, so take advantage by involving yourself with the people, pursuits, and interests that stimulate and inspire you. Not only are there (approximately) a ton of these, you're significantly more fun to be with (or around) when you are engaged, curious, and busily devising new and different ways to rule the (or your) world. Enough said.

5 comments

emeralda said...

wow, thats amazing. i do that too. for example, going to cinema. i love cinema. i know i can rent the dvd soon but damn, i love going to theaters. period. and why not going alone? i f i want to see a certain film i wanna see it. at times it is anyways better to cry alone in the dark... ;)
also going to places... actually i LOVE doing that alone at times because this way i meet always interesting people but in the same time can be entirely alone if i wish so.
no you are not a snob. you are an individual who knows what she wants and yes, there is a huge difference. you didn t make that up, right? so it s not snobish. you ve experienced stuff and now you know.

good luck with ruling your world!

love, love, love

piranha

Mala said...

Honey, there is nothing wrong with being exactly who you are and whoever doesn't like it is perfectly welcome to get on line to kiss your ass. I am a subscriber to the mantra of "I live my way, you are welcome to slum alone" and it is nice to know I am not the only one who has a set of standards that make mere mortals shudder.... It can't be helped that stupidity is rampant and so is coarse breeding.

Kudos to you...

Amadeo said...

Here, here. As a early party person I burned out quickly on the normal scene. I now: go to movies alone or with my wingman and if I can surmise the whole plot from one commercial I don't go (save for Star Wars)...I love indies, I read Savage Love, I hate any beer but Guiness, only love classic liquors (no blue glowing shyt!) If I get the paper I only really want to read the Boondocks. Hurrah!

TiffJ said...

'sup guys...
Thanks for getting IT.
I'm sick of trying to placate people, or trying to dumb down my interests.
I live in New England. The people here... whether they be transplants or homegrown... are stick in the muds. That which deviates from the norm is "weird" to them.
Any and everything... weird, that's weird, you're weird.
I'm truly sick of it really. I don't have any desire to placate anybody. I don't... not anymore... but I get sick of people shaking their head at me like I'M the one with the problem.
Funk 'em... and funk those who read this and have an issue with what I said.

Unknown said...

i think its called being real. I hate those clubs that just play whats on the radio. i go out to dance and bug out. i ain't trying to "holla" at nobody.

most of the time however, i like to lounge too. whats sad is Norfolk does not have places like that.