More Random Asides...

I'm riveted by the minutiae... The smallest, most trifling details seem to pique my interest, holding my attention with a strong grip. It's almost as if time pauses for the briefest of moments, while I take inventory.
  • A tinny thread, dangling from a sweater, or from the tail of a shirt.
  • The smallest speck of a stain, from sauce or grease.
  • A small, microscopic hole in someone's (or my own) shirt,
  • A teeny tiny, black dot of a bug, crawling on the leaf of a plant or flower,
  • Whether one eye is slightly smaller than the other,
  • The seam on a garment,
  • Hemlines, and where they fall,
  • Whether the teeth on a zipper lines up,
  • A smoker's neglect of their ciggie, as the ash train gets longer,
  • Lips,
  • Lashes,
  • Eyebrow arches,
  • Collar bones...
Sometimes, my eye for these precise details, is also the bane of my existence. ...

2 comments

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, but not all of the time, I do the same thing. The little things that nobody notices become blatantly obvious to me. Why that happens, I don't know, but it sure as hell is annoying. I mean, does it really matter if some dude is walking down the street not wearing any pants and is screaming "My furniture is burning!" to every light post he encounters? Not really, but those are the kind of things that just stand out.

TiffJ said...

@Shell: Spider-scara, buttery teeth, and bad breath are just non-negotiable with me. If someone's teeth is mangled beyond recognition, and their breath reeks of decay... I can't even look at them.

@TommyT: Those little things that my keen eyes pick up are annoying to me as well, because there're certain things I wish hadn't noticed.
I remember I noticed someone's gums bleeding during a conversation, and I could feel my stomach gurgling during the disgust. Later, I asked a friend, "Did you see her gums??" and she said, "No. Why, what happened?"
That was more than a few years ago, but the memory is still etched in my brain, as if it happened just yesterday.